Thursday, September 29, 2005

NRA LEADS RELIEF EFFORTS

Hundreds of suspicious people, some possibly looters

New Orleans (WPI) - While the whole country pulls together in an extraordinary effort to donate money, clothing and materials, one group has been quietly leading the way helping small businesses throughout New Orleans get back on their feet.

Beyond the devastation caused by the hurricane Katrina looters also destroyed many businesses, often walking off with entire inventories. Especially hard hit were pawn shops, sporting goods stores and small groceries that cashed checks and sold guns.

Typical of these shop owners is Abdullah Abasshadabe, a first generation Lebanese who has lived in New Orleans for 27 years. Abasshadabe, who’s extended family owns numerous neighborhood grocery stores throughout the poorer sections of the city, claims he lost everything in the aftermath of the storm.

They took eveything! These people! I have been helping them for years. They have no banks so I cash their pay checks. I take their food stamp, I let them buy beer and cigarettes- I know I shouldn’t but they are my customers. Yes, I sell guns but not ammunition. I am legal for this.”

Abasshadabe’s store, Buddy’s Mini-Mart, has been serving the area for more almost forty years. Abasshadabe bought the business for back taxes in the late 1980's and he, his wife and children have run it ever since.

“I am no bad person. Why they do this to me? I no steal from these people, I charge only 18% to cash check. Some people charge 20, 25%. Why they steal from me?” The bewildered man asked.

There are similar stories all over the area.

Moshe Mendlebaum has operated the Midas Pawn Shop on Elford Street for nearly forty years was equally distressed.

“I have been serving this community all my life. I gave everything I have- my heart, my soul, my sweat, my tears, my very blood for this businesses, trying to help these people- and this is how I am repaid!”

Mendlebaum’s shop was one of the first to be looted. Thieves hooked a chain to the bars sealing the back door and ripped it off with a pick-up truck.

“My alarm went off at home on Monday morning just when the eye was passing over. But there was no way I was gonna come down here!” said the store owner who lives in the wealthy suburb of Saint John The Conquerue across Lake Ponchatrain.

“There was no food or water in the shop! All I had was stereo equipment, jewelry, power tools and guns. They cleaned me out, they took everything. The insurance company is going to bleed me dry, I just know it.

Under Louisiana law hand guns may be sold in any type of store.” No permit is required nor is there a waiting period. Perhaps fearing for personal safety, guns were the first item looters targeted.

“Man, there was people all over with guns. Bad dudes you know, gansta types. I hadda get a gun too. You know, for self-protection.” Said a man who admitted looting. He spoke on condition of anonymity.

It was a natural niche for us,” declared Wayne LaPierre, Executive Vice President and CEO of the National Rifle Association, describing the plan to collect guns to replace those lost in the storm or by looting.

We wanted to make our contribution, as an organization, to the flood victims and this clearly was the best way to do that. Collecting clothing or having a bake sale is really not our thing. ”

Under the program, each of six regional “Command and Control Centers” has transmitted a call for donations of hand guns to the local “Platoon” level groups.

We have an excellent organizational structure,” said LaPierre. Guns are collected locally then transported by truck to the C&C. Once there the weapons are cleaned and tested by our Militia Units. So far the quality of the guns donated has been exceptional. Glock 9's, Smith & Wesson 38's and 357's. There is some excellent hardware.”

Store owners who lost their inventory of weapons can apply to the NRA for replacement guns.

We are going to make this a very simple and seamless process,” LaPierre said, “All they need to do is send us a request on their letterhead and one of local “Ambassadors” will deliver a fresh inventory of guns directly to them.”

Mendlebaum, who had not yet heard about the project, was delighted at the news.

“Thank God!” He exclaimed. “At least someone out there cares about the little guy! I lost more then 100, I mean 200 guns, to those thieves. I’m very grateful to the NRA. I’m sure I will join their fine organization soon.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FROM THE DESK OF GOVERNOR HALEY BARBOUR (MS):

For Immediate Release:

The following knowledge will be crucial to any Louisiana officials seeking federal flood assistance. The key to President Bush's humanity is a good nickname. If you've got a good nickname, he’ll like you.

Nicknames help him "see" or "imprint", if you will, upon an object of empathy as human or worthy of emotion. Always aware of this, we nickname all of the president’s priorities for him. Terri Schiavo was "Veggie", for example. The fetus: Doughboy. He loves to call zygotes "ziggy".

Sounds silly, but after being given those names to ponder, he went from favoring first trimester legal abortions to banning the morning after pill. When he heard "Veggie", Pres. Bush actually skipped his morning glass of Benadryl in his rush to personally save her.

Take my advice. If you want this president to see African American flood victims as lovable human folks, start giving them catchy nicknames. For instance: a corpse in Lake Pontchartrain could be called "Floatie"

Haley "Puss-butt" Barbour--


[Nice blog, pete] email me sometime
petrillije@yahoo.com

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home